Kadale Bele Chutney / Kadalai Parppu Chutney

This is a south Indian chutney. In Kannada it is Kadale Bele and in Tamil it is called KadalParppu chutney. For this chutney I have added coriander leaves and green chillies so that color of the chutney is green. This will suit for dosa, puri, idli and plain rice. I will make lots of twists in this chutney so that the taste varies.






Ingredients
  • Bengal gram / Kadale Bele / Chanda dal - 5 tsp
  • Curry leaves - 6 -7 leaves
  • Green chillies - 2-3 (as per taste)
  • Coconut , grated - 1 cup
  • Ginger - a small piece (optional) (but i use ginger normally)
  • Tamarind paste /pulp - 1/4 tsp Or Lemon juice
  • Rock salt / Salt - as per taste
For Tempering
  • Oil - 1 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Black gram / Udhina bele / Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
  • Asafoetida / hing - a pinch
Method
  • Roast bengal gram / kadale bele along with curry leaves and green chillies
  • Grind the coconut, roasted bengal gram, curry leaves, chillies, ginger, tamarind and salt
  • Add a little bit of water to grind coaresly
  • Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, allow to splutter and add hing, black gram fry till brown
  • Pour into the chutney and serve
Note : You can use lemon juice after grinding instead of tamarind.




| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2009 | | All rights reserved

23 comments

Finla said...

Chutney looks so yumm, i love the bowl you have served them with too.

Vani said...

kadale bele chutney looks great, Vanamala!

Cham said...

The chutney looks delicous would be great with rice too,small correction in tamil is "Kadalai paruppu"

KonkaniBlogger said...

Looks good !! Works really good for dosas..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Thanks HC, Vani, Cham & Maya
Yes cham i made correction. But in my home used to call it as kadlu parpu(iyengar tamil) so i have mentioned same in the post.

FH said...

This is my fave chutney for dose and idli, can't have enough of it. Looks so yum, I want some now. I have few leftover idlis but no chutney! :D

Enjoy the V day, hugs! :)

Priya Suresh said...

CHutney looks great..goes awesome with hot steaming idlies..

Dori said...

Sounds great, I can imagine its taste!

Vibaas said...

that looks delicious. never had this before. will try it :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Chutney looks yummy!! My mom makes it red I guess she used red chillies rather than green ones!

Trupti said...

Wow Mala, chutney looks very delicious & lovely photo

Ashwini said...

love this chutney with dosas..I use red chillies instead of green ones..yumm

Pavithra Kodical said...

My mom used to make this regularly..I think she was adding red chili..Tastes great though..Goes well with dosa :)

Cynthia said...

I want mine with rice :)

Uma said...

looks so delcious! Belated happy anniversary to your blog :)

Trupti said...

Hey Mala check my blog for 2 wonderful awards.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

we call it thogayal... looks very yummy. perfect with hot rice and ghee.

Saritha said...

Thanks for dropping a comment on my blog.Chutney looks yummy

vidhas said...

Chytney looks yum vanamala. Bowl looks so cute. Kinldy accept, something is waiting.

Sia said...

Mala, first of all congrats on completing 2 yrs of blogging and wishing u many more yrs of happy cooking, clicking and blogging :)
and second, i love thsi kadle bele chutney. in fact i have bought small pack of kadle bele for making this chuteny.

Unknown said...

Chutney looks delicious with the vibrant green color!

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanamala,

Your chutney looks very yummy :)

I am Anu from My Scrawls. I have posted my version of Kadalai paruppu chutney in my blog. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive your comments :)

Krishnaveni said...

I tried this chutney with little variation...
I also fired ginger and tamarind along with bengal gram seeds...
It tasted very well... Thanks for the recipe :-)