MaSaLa PuRi | Masala Puri

This time I have tried a different version of Karnataka Style Chaat item i.e, Masala Puri. I have already posted "Masala Puri " some time back. You can find that post here Masala Puri This one i have tried it has a different taste and look. Masala Puri has always been one of my favourite Chaat items. This is the typical one which I have tried here. This type can be found in roadside stalls. . Atleast here in US we have to make these at home only. So i will make both the recipes based on the ingredients i have in my kitchen . 




Ingredients for the Ground Masala Paste


  • HuriKadale/Hurgadle, Puffed gram, Dalia - 1/4 cup
  • Cinnamon sticks / Chakke - 2 - 3 small sticks
  • Clove / Lavanga - 4
  • Red Chillies (dry) - 4
  • Poppy Seeds / Gasgase - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander seeds / Dhania - 1 tsp
  • Jeera - 1/2 tsp
  • 1 cup water
  • Salt to taste
Method to Ground Masala Paste
  • Make a powder of all the above ingredients except water & salt.
  • Then add water and blend it again for a smooth batter
  • Transfer into the pan. Add salt and bring to boil for 5 - 8 min(if it is too thick add one more glass of water. Consistency should be medium thick(Just like dosa batter)) keep stirring so that it wont stick into the pan.
Ingredients
  • Papdi Puri - 10 to 20
  • Green peas (frozen or dried soaked overnight) (normally i use frozen peas)
  • Large Onion - 1, Finely chopped
  • Carrot - 1 Grated
  • Tomato - 1 Finely chopped
  • Potato / Aloo - 4 boiled & mashed
  • Coriander leaves / Cilantro - Finely Chopped
  • Fine Sev
  • Green Chutney
  • Sweet Tamarind Chutney
  • Yogurt / Curds (if required)
  • Black Salt
  • Lemon Juice
Method
  • Soak the Dried peas overnight. Then wash the soaked peas and pressure cook with enough water for about 3 whistles. Keep aside
To Serve
  • Crush the papdi onto a plate
  • Top with mashed potato & Peas
  • Pour a laddle full of Masala
  • Top with onions, carrots, tomatos on one by one
  • Sprinkle with green chutney, sweet chutney, yogurt, black salt, chaat masala, lemon juice on one by one
  • Top with sev
  • Garnish coriander & Serve 




| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2008 | | All rights reserved

15 comments

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hey Vanamala, Masala Puri ur version looks very good..Thnx for sharing this recipe with us..The Rasam Pudi also looks wonderful..A must try..COngrats on your award and thanx so much for passing it on to me, I humbly accept it :)..Enjoy...

TBC said...

Thank you for thinking of me, Vanamala. :)

Anonymous said...

Good Pic, did u receive the award, its bit confusing (who is giving to whom).

Reemas,
PrivateMarriage.com

Unknown said...

Looks delicious mala,masal puri is always mouthwatering. Missed your posts, is it not showing in TOI.
Thanks for the award. Hey send this to Sia's street food event, this will be a nice entry.

Uma said...

Yummy masala puri, Vanamala! Congrats on the well deserved award.

FH said...

Happy Monday!

Oh yeah! Looks fabulous! It reminds me of Jayanager 9th block bakery Masalpuri I used to pig out like crazy. I will try. Good one girl!:)

Cham said...

Looks yummy ur masala puris, congrats on ur award

EC said...

Looks so tempting....will surely try, Congrats on the award

AnuSriram said...

Masala Puri Looks so tempting... Thanks for thinking about me Vanamala . This is my first award.. Feeling gr8! I am on a break now. will soon start blogging. Your msg in my blog rang a bell for me... Thanks!
I have to try your rasam podi too..

Kalai said...

Beautiful chaat, Vanamala!! Congrats on the award, too, dear. :)

remya said...

Yummy masala puri...reminds me of b'lore... i used to eat lots of chat those days... In us i miss them alot...tried here in sme restaurants..OMg!! horrible... nw i'll try myself... thankz for sharing

Andhra Flavors said...

masala puris looks yummy..

Anonymous said...

Just love Indian food!! Thanks for the recipe, YYYYYUUUUMMYYY!!! I wanted to share this, why don't you try it with this drink called purple. You must have heard about it since it's doing a lot of rounds in the celebrity circuit and is all over the news. Its tastes amazing with everything, try it and let me know if you liked it or not. It is a health drink which is made up of 7 fruits juice and is high on antioxidants and you know about antioxidants right? it prevents premature ageing, what else do growing women want huh, LOL!! If you want more information to check whether what I am saying is right you can get it at www.drinkpurple.com . You can get it at GNC and drug stores. Could not help sharing it!

Unknown said...

Hey i tried out the masla puri recipe from ur blog and it turned out to be awesome. I just want to post it in my blog also. I'll give credits to u and a link to ur blog also. Can i post it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mala,

Thank you so much for your recipe. I tried it out and the masala puri turned out pretty good. My wife and I were really impressed since we have been looking for a good recipe for a long time and hadn't found one - this was a huge hit.

Cheers!
Ranga