Bendekai Karimdh (BHINDI FRY)

This dish tastes great with hot chapatis, it is very simple to cook and healthy too.




Ingredients
  • Bhindi / Okra - 1/2 kg
  • Curry leaves - 1 stalk
  • Green chillies - 2 or 3
  • Chana dal - 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida (hing) - 1/2 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Coconut (grated) - 2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 5 tsp
Method
  1. Wash okra and pat dry. Trim the bottom & top & slice into round half an inch thick
  2. Heat oil in a wok
  3. Add mustard allow to splutter, add chana dal, curry leaves, chillies, hing stirfry till done
  4. Add bhindi fry on medium flow, stir occasionally until bhindi soft
  5. Add Salt and coconut mix well remove from the heat
Serve with chapati, Rasam rice

 | Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2007 | | All rights reserved

3 comments

Sia said...

hi vanamala,
bumped into ur blog when i was googling and love the recipes u have here:) i see that u dont have ur blog url put up on ur profile page. please make that change so that it will be easy for everyone to find out ur blog:)
good luck with ur food blog:)

Anand said...

Hello Mala thangi!

I am from Saraswathipuram, Mysore! Thank you very much for your great blog, I really liked going through your recipes, and I am also thrilled that you are Mysorean! I now live in Chicago.

If you have the time, I have two questions that you could possibly answer:

1) There is a mosaru (yogurt) bendekayi with vagarane (I don't know how to say it in English), could you please post how to make it?
2) The yogurt here tastes different, should I get mosaru from Mysore and add it to the milk here? My friend's wife is coming back from Mysore next week so I can get mosaru; also if I need to do that, what kind of milk should I use to make the mosaru (what percent fat milk)?

Thanks!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Hello Anand Can you just email me
i will answer your questions please.
vanamala.hebbar@gmail.com