Thayir Vada | Thayir Vade

Thayir vade in tamil. Kannada mosaru vade. The recipe is same across all regions. Yesterday we had a party at home. So i had made thayir vade. :). I am reposting this recipe and the new pictures.





for Vadas :
  • Urad dal / Uluthuparppu - 1 cup
  • Salt to taste
  • Baking soda - a pinch
  • Curry leaves / Karvappale - few leaves
  • Coconut pieces / Thengachuru - 2 tbsp
  • Crushed roasted black pepper / Molag- 1 tsp
  • Oil - 400ml (to deep fry)
  • Curds / Yogurt / Thayir - 1 kg (beat with hand beater until smooth)
for Sprinkling 
  • Curds / Thayir - 1/2 cup (beat with hand beater until smooth)
  • Grated Carrots - 2 tbsp
  • Chopped Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
  • Boondi / Karasev 
 Tempering :
  • Oil / Yenne - 1 tsp
  • Mustard seeds / Kadag - 1/2 tsp
  • Moongdal / Payiruthparppu - 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida / Peryangyaum - 1/4 tsp
  • Curry leaves / Karvappale - 4 leaves

Preparation :
  1. Wash & Soak the urad dal for 2 hrs
  2. Grind the thick batter(water as per req)
  3. Add soda, salt, pepper, curry leaves & coconut pieces Mix.
  4. Heat oil in a big pan. Take a small portion of the mixture. Make a hole in the centre and drop into hot oil. 
  5. Deep fry till very light golden. Remove them from the pan and place them into the Paper towel
  6. Put hot vades into hot water. Leave it for 2 minutes. Press out each vada gently between cloth or paper towel.
  7. Then put all the vadas into curds. Soak it for 1 or 2 hrs.
  8. Heat oil in a small pan add oil then add mustard seeds, asafoetida, moond dal, curry leaves fry and remove from the flame pour it into the thayir vada.
To Serve :
  1. Arrange the vadas into medium tray or bowl
  2. Beat the curds & pour the remaining curds into vadas
  3. Sprinkle grated carrots, boondi + sev and coriander leaves. Serve



| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2008 | | All rights reserved

17 comments

Uma said...

wow, the vadas are making me feel hungry. So mouth-watering.

You have a surprise at my blog. Hope you like it. Check out my blog for details.

FH said...

So delicious! I love Mosaru vade too, usually I make it in Summer, chilled!:)
I haven't checked my mail yet, will do tomorrow and will talk to you too. I had to go to Tushar's school this morning to pick him up. He was sick, he is resting now.

Seema said...

Thayir Vadas my all time Fav. Love it in summers...These look yum! have made in a long time!!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Thank you uma

Thank you asha. Even my son(Parikshith) also was not well last week. I think the weather is changing. take care of him.

Thanks a lot seema.

Kalai said...

My husband would love these! :)

Annu said...

Good god,mouth watering vada....... yummy yummy,and your blog seetings are really good.

Thanks for your nice comment in my blog.

Raks said...

Looks mouthwatering!Adding moongdal is new to me! Will try it out next time!

Cham said...

I love to heat in summer this vadas:)

Sagari said...

Its been long I had curdvada,LOOKS DELECIOUSSSSS

EC said...

I too have never tried moong dal with it...we made dahi bhalla a chaat item similar to thayir vadai on sunday...will post that soon on the blog

Jayashree said...

I love snacking on these.....looks good.

Namratha said...

Thayir vada is a favourite at home and its been such a long time since I had some!! Looks yummy and ready to dig into :D You have a lovely blog here :)

Laavanya said...

Thayir vadais are the best!! Love it.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on ur award. Nice thayir vadas. I love it.

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

hi..first time here..lovely blog...uummm,...i loovvee thayir vadass

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

This recipe was really useful for me Thanks for the details which many other recipes dont have. Like the chutneys and how to soak the vadas. I had been searching for this recipe for long...