PULI KODDEL

Few days back, I got an offer for arusuvai from asha. I accepted this chain. I am always welcome to make friends. I was so excited as to what will she send me??

I got the package...You know what, as i opened the package i could smell the lovely aroma of masala powder called "Puli Koddel" and "The Red Carpet" Book and a beautiful card. Thank you so much asha...

I googled to find as to what I could make from this powder. I got a few recipes for puli koddel gravy only.. But asha also had given me a similar kind of recipe. I have prepared asha's recipe...This recipe is from her mother.
Puli Koddel is a gravy side dish from Mangalore. A very simple dish. This you can make it AshGuard Or Cucumber Or Vegetables. If you use the powder for thicker gravy, you can serve it with chapati's .

I had never tasted this before. Ummmmm love to eat with hot plain rice :) i enjoyed it on my lun ch. My husband also liked it.

I will forward this arusuvai friendship chain to Ramya from Maneadige . Thank you for accepting this chain.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup Cucumber
  • 1&1/2 tsp Puli Koddel powder
  • 1 cup water
  • Salt to taste
  • Tempering :
  • Ghee or Oil - 4 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Red chillies - 2
  • Curry leaves
  • Hing a pinch
  • Garlic (optional)
Method :
  1. Take a pan. Heat oil, add mustard, cumin, red chillies, curry leaves, hing. One after the other.
  2. Add 1 cup water mixed with enough tamarind paste, salt, coriander leaves and cook until raw smell goes.
  3. Add puli koddel powder powder. Stir
  4. Add cubed cooked cucumber and simmer for few minutes. Until gravy thickens a little.
  5. Serve with rice or chapati's
Recipe Source : Asha
| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2008 | | All rights reserved

12 comments

FH said...

So glad you liked it Mala, it's my favorite dish. Thali looks delcious.
I got your card as well. Thanks for that and for accepting the Arusuvai. Hope you like the book too! Enjoy, see you in May! Hugs :))

Dhivya said...

wow!looks so yumm:))tempting one

EC said...

Hey Asha...arent u on a break ??????? and mala, the koddel looks great

Sia said...

ah, so u made kodhel? :) try it with beet root next time, my fav kodhel:)

SMN said...

Hey another M'lorean welcome. so nice to hear about M'lore. that tulu word only brings so comfot..he ..he..

Unknown said...

looks nice...like your new header coffeebeans and chocolate...

Uma said...

Nice use of the ingredient, Vanamala! Looks delicious. I like your new header too.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

looks really yummy!!! and btw, maybe you could also post the recipe you followed for Kodhel... It would surely help many readers!
And thanx for sending across the Arusuvai... :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Thank you all :)

Thanks for reminding me ramya :)

Siri said...

Lovely looking dish Mala ..:)

Siri

Cynthia said...

Now that is a header! I love it!

Arundathi said...

Have to try this one. Love all foods Mangalorean!